Hello and Salaams all!
This September brings us 20 years of post-9/11 living. Perhaps the reverberations of 9/11 and how it has affected Muslims in America hasn't been much on your mind or part of your purview. But if it has, then let's talk. Because if there is one group who has had to face a variety of micro- and macro-aggressions over the last two decades, it's visibly or public-facing Muslim women.
How has it been for you to be a visible Muslim woman the past several years, especially in post 9/11 America? Has it been a struggle? Something you don't really think about? Something draws your nearer to Allah (S)? Have you changed how you wear hijab or stopped wearing it because of experiences you had or hate you faced? Are you sick of hearing Muslim women being tied to 9/11 stories? Have you experienced something singular as a visible Muslim women that you'd like to share? What do you want to say? What do you want us to know?
I'm looking for your stories around visibility as a Muslim woman to feature in September on the blog as we approach the 20th remembrance of 9/11.
The Details You Need to Know
1. If you want your story to appear on the blog, email me here
(firstname.lastname@example.org) with a pitch about what you want to write about. If we move forward with your story, I'll give you more details. If you want to straight, up send me your story, that's fine as well. Please keep word length to around 800.
2. Please include a photo to go with your story and a 2-3 line bio.
3. Please include any social media (Instagram, Twitter, etc.) handles you want to have appear with your story.
4. Send me your submissions by Friday, September 10. I won't be able to accept submissions after that time.
5. I'll be editing and compiling these stories into a blog post compilation or as individual stories, depending on how they come to me.
Please know that I am looking forward to reading your stories, however I won't be able to publish all of them due to limited time and space. We hope to shout out some of your stories as well on our social media platforms!
Questions? Share them below in the comments below!